Modern vehicles are complex networks of highly integrated electronic systems that generate and store massive amounts of information.
A typical vehicle has
Data is stored by vehicle systems as it is collected and processed. The information contained in those repositories is critical evidence that is extremely valuable during an investigation. High level categories include;
Access event logs associated with activity such as door opens, gear shifts, odometer reads, ignition cycles, speed logs, and more
Recover location data and navigation information such as track logs, saved locations, active routes and previous destinations.
Identify devices that have been connected via the USB ports, over Bluetooth or wireless network and all of the data associated with those devices.
Analysis of vehicle data will answer key questions for investigators and change the course of an investigation. Vehicle data can help determine;
- Provide insight on the sequence of events that took place leading up to an incident
- Identify patterns of life and unusual events that happened around an incident
- Determine timelines of activity and establish a chain of significant events
WHERE IT OCCURED
- Provide historical data to show where a vehicle was at specific times
- Identify areas frequently visited, new locations traveled, and future plan
- Determine how long particular locations were visited
WHO WAS INVOLVED
- Provide unique identifiers that tie individuals to a specific vehicle
- Identify known associates and establish communication patterns between them
- Determine who may have been present or aware of key information during an incident
What are the next steps to learn more?
Explore iVe : Our Ecosystem of products built to identify, acquire and analyze vehicle data and register for one of our upcoming informational webinars.